What is life purpose?
What is life purpose is the question I've been asked the most over all the years of coaching and teaching life purpose.
It's safe to say that if you're reading this, then your life purpose is asking you a question right now.
Are you ready to receive it?
Do so, let it be your north star, and your life will never be the same again.
That's a promise.
The difference between true life purpose and finding a purpose
The thing about true life purpose is that it's typically given to you.
I've only seen a handful of examples where people have proactively gone out, found and are living their 'true' life purpose.
Many people find purpose and meaning in their work, in caring for their family, in their religion or spirituality.
Amazing and admirable if you can do that but that’s different to the life purpose we practise and help people find.
There is no ambiguity when your life purpose comes to you, no searching and choosing between options, just a knowing that you found it.
It will feel exciting, probably daunting and you’ll recognise early on that its going to test you to go out there and fulfil it.
What is life purpose - The top 11 things to know
Well, here are my top 11 things to know about life purpose. I couldn't find a way to squash it down to 10, so 11 it is.
Its taken me over a decade of coaching life purpose to work this out so I hope you find it useful and it saves you some time.
For me, life purpose is:
- the reason you’re here. It’s your why.
- bigger than you. It’s about making a difference in the world and helping others.
- the juice that’ll help you keep going even when the going gets tough.
- not the panacea or magic bullet it’s often sold as. It won't make your life magically perfect. Yes, you're still going to have bad days. It will challenge you, and whilst amazing at times, it’s going to be hard at times too.
- the carrot dangled by the Universe. How else could the Universe motivate you to face and heal all the parts of yourself you’d rather not even see.
- something that'll help you become the person you’ve always dreamed of being. As part of that it’ll help you learn to love yourself.
- going to gradually take you from ego to selfless whether you like it or not!
- the compass, the North Star, that’ll inform and guide every key step you take in life.
- typically received rather than chosen, and even then it comes only when the time is right.
- not always what you thought it would be or something you'd consciously choose. You'll nevertheless know at your very core that it's right and will feel excited.
- something that will grow as you grow to meet it. New and bigger iterations of it come through when you’re able to fulfil the purpose you’ve been given.
The day to day reality of living your life purpose
Once you've found, or more accurately received, your life purpose, the hard work really starts.
You're going to need to take action to move towards it. These actions are you starting to live it day to day.
If your life purpose or what you need to do doesn't trigger or overwhelm you straight away, it will do soon!
It's a big deal to be living your life purpose and it'll consistently take you out of your comfort zone.
It's easy to then prevaricate, do nothing or sabotage yourself in any manner of ways.
I've done all of these things and more over the years.
So, you're going to need to become very good at catching yourself.
Then you're going to need a set of tools to work through your emotions as they come up, otherwise the chances are you won't get too far.
So, what is life purpose?
Don't say it too loudly, but Life purpose is actually the key to help you unlock yourself.
Moreover, it's the carrot that'll keep making you look at yourself even when it's uncomfortable to do so.
The end result will be that you finally become the person that you always wanted to be.
Work through all that life purpose journey brings up for you and that's where you'll end up.
Oh and did I mention that you'll do a lot of good and help many people en route.
Quite simply, it’s the most amazing, challenging and fulfilling journey you’ll ever take.
You’re going to love it!
Are you ready to become the hero of your life?
Want to know more?
Before you do anything else read my article about my own life purpose as that builds on this.
Here's a 12 minute episode of my podcast which answers the same question. It also talks about why you might want to live your own purpose.
Below you'll find the sign up to my 'find your life purpose' email. Sign up for that and I'll send you one 'aha' life purpose tip every 2 weeks.
Alternatively, you can book a place on one of my free information-packed online life purpose workshops via Eventbrite. If you don't find one listed, please follow me on social media for updates.
And finally, if you're ready to go for it and want some 121 assistance I'd love to help. Get in touch for life purpose coaching.
The life purpose newsletter
Receive one 'aha moment' email tip on how to find your life purpose, every second Saturday morning, in the life purpose newsletter.
Each email is a max 2 minute read packed with great tips, insights & guidance on finding your life purpose from one of the leading life purpose coaches and teachers in the world.
Adam Tallamy - Life Purpose Coach and Teacher
Based in London, UK and working with clients all over the world from the United States / US and Canada, to South Africa and Australia.
+44 (0)7779-125 828